Balboa Park - Multiple Projects
San Diego, CA
Set on 1200 acres in the heart of the City of San Diego, Balboa Park is the Nation’s largest urban cultural park and a historical landmark. Home to fifteen major museums, renowned performing arts venues, beautiful gardens and the San Diego Zoo, the Park is one of the City’s best known attractions.With some of San Diego’s oldest architecture, Balboa Park had seen the damaging effects of aging, with most buildings being in need of repair and renovation to maintain public safety and in order to preserve the architecture which is considered so important to the region’s history.
Located in the central corridor of the Park are a number of buildings that are connected by a series of pedestrian promenades and plazas. The promenades and plazas are referred to as the ‘Arcades’ and are comprised of various architectural elements that are used to communicate the Spanish Colonial romantic theme that has made the park famous.
JCJ Architecture’s local office, formerly known as Wheeler Wimer Blackman, was retained to provide design and advisory services for a variety of structures within the park. The scope of each project included a study, conservation and preservation of historical exteriors; renovations and adaptive reuse of interior spaces; coordination with local regulatory boards; and design and documentation of all projects.
The Firm's experience includes historic design and rehabilitation on the following projects:
- Balboa Park Activity Center and Gymnasium, San Diego, CA
- Balboa Park Casa del Prado, San Diego, CA
- Balboa Park Casa de Balboa, San Diego, CA
- Balboa Park Arcades, San Diego, CA
- City of San Diego Palisades Building -
Rehabilitation, Balboa Park
- Fire Alarm Building - Rehabilitation, Balboa Park
- Balboa Park Club, Building Master Plan and Rehabilitation, Balboa Park
- Lowell Davies Festival Theatre, Simon Edison Centre for the Performing Arts, Balboa Park