US Grant Hotel

San Diego, CA


Background and Context
A landmark and visual icon, the U.S. Grant Hotel, has been a piece of San Diego history for over a century. Constructed and opened in 1910, the Grant Hotel was designed by architect Harrison Albright and financed in part by San Diego voters. Throughout its long history the hotel has attracted an eclectic range of visitors – from businessmen, sailors and military officials in its early years to tourists and Comic-Con attendees today. After changing hands several times in the 1990’s, the Hotel was eventually purchased by the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation and operated by Starwood Hotels and Resorts as part of their Luxury Collection.