JCJ was first commissioned by the Town of Greenwich to take a fresh look at program and site studies and to analyze existing and new site location options. Analysis was done on existing police/fire building property, vacant sites and the adaptation of other potentially available existing buildings in the central business district. Following approval of the recommended location, JCJ was retained to provide full design services as well as support the project through a public vote and secure local zoning and historic district approvals.
Following completion of the police and parking, JCJ was retained to design the complex’s second phase: design of the new Central Fire Headquarters. The original program called for the 1930 building to be updated and reused but was given limitations regarding the building’s ability to withstand a seismic event. It was determined that the building would be replicated rather than reused. The building has gone through all necessary Historic District approvals and design sensitively incorporates existing ornaments, plaques and exterior materials into the new. The building will accommodate a fire company with dormitory support as well as the headquarters for the Fire Marshall, Fire Inspector and all administrative staff.